Friday 6 April 2007

Exploring Hoian

The fact that I managed to convince Matthew to put his life in my hands to explore the Hoian area by motorbike means that either he did not feel very safe with the local drivers or that he trust me blindly… maybe a bit too much as he may have been thinking during our excursion to My Son! My Son is the old capital of the Champa Kingdom and archeologically a very small cousin of the Angkor ruins that we visited in Cambodia, but in an amazing location in the tropical jungle and mountains. In addition to My Son, Hoian is a very attractive town, with its mixture of old Chinese and Colonial style, its yellow facades, its beach on the South China Sea, its many tailors that will cut and sew any design you can come up with (provided you have the imagination, time and stamina that we lacked), its amazing fish that we learnt to cook but surely will not be able to replicate, its little waterfront with cheap sugar cane juices and its even cheaper beer at 20 cents of dollar the glass… and its very warm people. Overall, not a bad place to linger around as we did!

No comments: